Since the introduction of Seller’s Stamp Duty (SSD) on 22 February 2010 and Additional Buyer Stamp Duty (ABSD) on 7 December 2011, there have been a number of revisions in the rates as the cooling measures intensify throughout the years.
This is the latest rate.
Seller’s Stamp Duty
• Holding period of 1 year : 16% of price or market value, whichever is higher
• Holding period of 2 years : 12% of price or market value, whichever is higher
• Holding period of 3 years : 8% of price or market value, whichever is higher
• Holding period of 4 years : 4% of price or market value, whichever is higher
Properties acquired before 20 Feb 2010 will not be subject to SSD.
Additional Buyer’s Stamp Duty
a) FR and *entities- 15% on the purchase or acquisition of any residential property.
b) SPR – 5% on the purchase or acquisition of their first residential property
SPR who already own# 1 or more residential properties 10% on the purchase or acquisition of another residential property.
c) SC – who already own# one residential property 7% on the purchase or acquisition of the second residential property.
– SC who already own# 2 or more residential properties 10% on the purchase or acquisition of another residential property.
# Whether owned wholly, partially or jointly with others.
* Entity means a person who is not an individual, and includes an unincorporated association, a trustee for a collective investment scheme when acting in that capacity, a trustee-manager for a business trust when acting in that capacity and, in a case where the property conveyed, transferred or assigned is to be held as partnership property, the partners of the partnership whether or not any of them is an individual.
I have invited Ms. Dorothy Tay of LegalWorks Law Corporation to answer some of my questions to clear up some confusing facts of how both of it works. Legalworks is a boutique law firm that specializes solely in conveyancing and has lawyers of more than 20 years experience in the field. Ms. Dorothy Tay is the principle solicitor behind Legal Works.
Additional Buyer Stamp Duty (ABSD)
Q: Many people are very confused for a fact for this mix of spouse. When you have a Singapore Citizen (SC) and a Foreign (FR) Spouse. How much Additional Buyer Stamp Duty you are supposed to pay for your first matrimonial house?